Friday, May 22, 2009

Barbecue Debate

As a part of my morning routine before students arrive at school, I check the news. I came across this article from CNN.com http://www.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/05/22/barbecue.quest/index.html?iref=t2test_travelfri
The article discusses the different variety of barbecue across the country and which, if any, is better than the other. Now I grew up in the north (Pennsylvania), so you could make a case that I'm not qualified to have an opinion on this. Barbecue in the north consists of cooking meat and covering it in store bought commercial sauce from Kraft or some other major distributor. Upon being introduced to real barbecue here in the south, I am obliged to have an opinion. It is my understanding that there are 3 competing styles of barbecue; North Carolina Vinegar based BBQ, Memphis style, and Texas barbecue. The major differences are the sauce concoctions as well as the spices and smoking wood used to cook the meat. To date, all I've had is the North Carolina version. In my short time here, I've been privileged to be able to sample it in my new stomping grounds here in Charlotte, NC. There are a few restaurants in Charlotte that I've been to for BBQ that have impressed me. Jim and Nick's is a BBQ place that has a solid reputation. The meat is tender and the sauces are very tasty. Mac's Speedshop has two locations in Charlotte (South Blvd, Sandy Porter Rd) and ceases to amaze me everytime I eat there. I can honestly say that Mac's BBQ is pound for pound, the best flavored food I've ever consumed. Their incredible sauce flavors are matched only by the variety in which they present them in their menu. The BBQ cuisine ranges from the traditional meat platter smothered in sauce (pulled pork, beef brisket), to barbecue salads and beer can chicken. I look forward to continuing to sample all their menu has to offer. Unfortunately, with the exceptionally excellent, there are the exceptionally bad. The 3rd BBQ place I going to discuss doesn't even deserve to have their name mentioned in this conversation at all (it's a chain restaurant that rhymes with "Schplonny's"). It's not that often that you taste something so vile that you actually remove the food from your mouth with a napkin. As a poor young teacher, I've developed the ability to save food and stretch my dollar to the max. Even with my frugal nature, I still had not the slightest problem throwing 90% of this meal away. This establishments corporate attempt at BBQ is laughable at best. The meat flavor screamed "processed beef livers/lips/hearts/lungs" and the sauce resembled the oral sensation one might receive from licking the bottom of an old pair of tennis shoes. To this establishments credit, I've only eaten there once, and I will concede that there may be some other items on the menu that aren't as detestable, but judging by the quality of the one meal I did receive, I find it increasingly difficult to muster the courage to attempt it again. To sum it up, the "Pupperoni" treats I give my dog smell and most likely taste better than the steaming pile of crap I was served.
With all that said, I'd have to say that I've most definitely become a lover of southern BBQ. When and if I get the chance to sample the 2 other popular styles mentioned above, I'm positive that my newfound love and appreciation for the stuff will only be enhanced!

No comments:

Post a Comment