Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Stanley Cup Finals

As tonight's Stanley Cup Finals Game 1 featuring the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Detroit Red Wings approaches, I can't help but cling to hope. By virtue of the geography of where I grew up, I've always had an affinity for the Pittsburgh Penguins. The acquisition of Sidney Crosby followed by the subsequent attainment of Evgeni Malkin and Marc-Andre Fleury grew that affinity into a solid obsession with Pens hockey. I recently had the honor and privilege of observing the composure of a brilliant symphony of hockey excellence while attending my first playoff game of any sort. I watched as the Penguins decimated not only the defense of the Carolina Hurricanes and Cam Ward's confidence, but also the hopes of the Hurricane faithful angrily looking on as I and the Penguin fans around us went totally bonkers. Watching these young superstars evolve into battle tested playoff warriors has been nothing short of a privilege. But I can't help but feel sick to my stomach at the thought of taking the ice against the Red Wings for a second year in a row. The heartache of watching Detroit dominate in last years final still remains in part in my subconscious. Here comes a beleaguered hodge podge of old (Chris Chelios is 47!!!) veterans, gods of NHL years past, that many have children nearing their 20's. And yet, this group still ran rough shot through the entire Western Conference playoffs, seemingly untested (I'm writing off Detroit's 7 game nail-biter against Anaheim as a fluke; yes flukes can happen for an entire series). I, being a student and teacher of history, know full well how history has an uncanny ability to repeat itself. The Pittsburgh faithful cannot simply accept the thought of coming so close to hockey euphoria 2 years in a row and coming up empty. Besides, the prospect of the Pens losing the Stanley Cup again means Pittsburgh fans will have to suffer through watching the Pirates underachieve all summer until Steeler training camp begins. Many questions have to be answered to make an accurate prediction as to the outcome of the series; Does another year of playoff experience push the Penguins over the top? Are the Red Wings too old and slow to keep up with the speed and youth of Pittsburgh? Does experience and age benefit Detroit? Can Malkin and Crosby keep up their torrid and feverish point scoring frenzy? Is Detroit's defensive scheme to difficult for the Penguins to overcome? While you can't make assumptions and devise completely accurate responses these questions from one game, I surely will feel either better or worse about some of them tomorrow morning. As for my prediction, VINDICATION - Pens in 6. You might say, "Well Caleb, isn't that a little biased considering you're a Penguins fan?" My response, ABSOLUTELY. LET'S GO PENS!!!!!!

1 comment: